Figured that I need such a thing that would stay here for a while and save me some time. I'll try to answer your questions before you ask and write solutions for some not quite typical situations.
Note that commissions are still CLOSED, but I'm preparing to open them. C:
• First of all, who am I and why I'm doing commissions.
I'm a freelance self-taught artist. I haven't been having an "outside" job for many years and so far I'm content with such a lifestyle. Consider art as my profession, that's why I can't accept points, trades or whatever else you offer instead of real money. That won't pay fees or buy me food.
• Commission rounds.
I'm not constantly open for commissions, so if my status says "closed", it's 100% valid. Usually I'm taking 5-8 slots and then going "closed" for a month or two. I'm switching between commissions and adopts, what allows me to avoid burning out.
Current round = current active slot list.
• I use a slot system. If your slot is #1 on the list, it means I'm gonna start working on it in the next days. If your slot is #2 and onwards, it will depend on factors such as communicating speed of the previous slot's holder, complexity of their commission, my own speed, etc. If you think it's taking too long, feel free to contact me.
You don't have to send me references and money before your slot is #1. Please, don't do it and just wait, I'll come back to you and tell it's your turn.
For the active list:
- After my notification, you'll have 1-2 days to respond and pay.
If you don't reply during this time period, your position on the list will be moved one position downwards.
If you don't reply in a week, your position will be moved to the end of current list.
For the waiting list:
- You have two weeks to respond to my notification, otherwise you'll be removed from the list.
• By buying a commission from me, you agree for:
- My artwork can be used for personal activities, such as roleplaying, references, illustration for your non-profit fanfiction/other online literature, avatars/personal site banners (youtube and twitch-like sites included), print for yourself or your friends.
- My artwork CAN NOT be used for commercial purposes. It can't be put on any further reproduction without my permission. You are forbidden to make any financial profit off my work.
Basically, if you're a game developer, musician, writer, non-personal site owner or other sort of a public-oriented person and you're planning to distribute the product containing my artwork (for free or not quite, but definitely in copies), you should just ask me and we'll negotiate the additional fee.
- Customer can repost my artwork on some sites*, given that you don't forget to credit me (put "by Next LVL" at least, at best link my Deviantart or Tumblr).
*Doesn't work for Deviantart, Pixiv and other sites that are supposed to be artist galleries. If you're unsure what is considered as, please ask me.
- I can publish the commissioned piece on my Deviantart, Tumblr and other sites, use it for portfolio and artbooks. If you don't want me to do this, please warn in advance. I can keep the piece private if asked so.
- There are no deadlines unless it's requested by the customer. Estimated time is 1 day~1 month counting from the payment date. If there's a rush, I might charge extra for it. If there's no rush, please don't push me. I'm always keeping my clients as much updated as it's physically possible.
- Commission process* is claiming a slot -> communicating details (providing character references, etc) -> rough sketch -> asking for customer's approval -> payment -> finishing the artwork. More info in my price sheet.
*For everything above simple lowest tier doodles. When the sketch is too primitive and there's no such an option as "edit", I'll ask for the payment immediately and provide the completed doodle soon after it.
Explanation: doodles are really easy to ask for and just get away without paying. I'm just trying to secure myself, nothing else.
- Complex design/lots of details is a subject to charge more. I'll tell you if your design is too complex, and you'll be provided a choice to let me simplify the design or pay extra and get the original detail level.
- I'm leaving for myself the right to reject the commission without explanation. Of course, it can happen only before the payment stage.
• Payment method & other:
For the moment, I can only accept Paypal. It has some unpleasant surprises, which I'll try to warn you for.
- When sending the money, toggle "send to friends and family". It won't ask for any fees then.
- Sometimes Paypal refuses to work with certain two accounts for no reason. If you have trouble sending money (it can show various errors) the solution is to wait 1-2 days or use another account (ask friends, parents?). It helps in most cases.
- Returning policies: you can cancel the commission only before sending the money.
Once the payment is done and the work is started (stage doesn't matter), you can't cancel the commission and demand the money back.
In the case of customer's dissatisfaction I'll try my best in solving the problem and compensating with available tools aka artwork, but the money refund is unlikely to happen.
- Security measures: your account must be at least 3 months old. I'll favor customers who have a rather active profile and some feedback from other commissioned artists.
I do draw:
- OC (your own and other people's)
- Fanart of any anime, cartoon, comics, game
- Humans, furries (mammal animals only), mechas ?? will try but not sure
- Simple backgrounds
- Slight nudity - questionable. I'm still not sure about my anatomy skills tbh.
I don't draw:
- OC with any official characters (ew mary sue begone)
- Real people
- Some characters that I'm avoiding for personal reasons (example: MLP and Naruto)
- Cold-blooded furries (reptiles, insects, etc)
- Obvious nudity, pron and other nsfw, such as guro
- Highly detailed backgrounds and mechanisms.
I'll edit this post occasionally. New price list is to be published soon. Please don't ask for a slot yet, as I've said before, I'm still closed.